Monday, September 06, 2010

Breaking free


Over time, I have gathered a set of limiting habits around me—ones that trap me in a zone of supposed comfort, well below what my potential would allow me to attain. these habits have slipped below the level of my consciousness, and they determined what I think that I can and cannot do—and what I cannot even bring myself to try. I let this belief rule me, and so I got stuck in a rut.

I had to break free from this bubble. And so the first step to break away from this mediocrity is to leave this comfort zone. I am leaving with a heavy heart as I have gained true friends. On the other hand, I am glad I am leaving the work which brings me little satisfaction. I cannot stand people bashing others just for the sake of being "bida". I cannot stand people who cannot accept responsibility so as to avoid being blamed. I cannot stand hypocrites! I am leaving because I cannot take being mediocre. I will be leaving and face new challenging and exciting journeys. And up to this minute, I still couldn't contain my excitement. I am faced with greater hurdles, bigger problems that I have to solve, yet I believe I am ready to face these head on. I know my strength and power. No one has the right to question if I am ready for it. As long as I believe in myself, no one can put me down.

"There is danger in the comfort zone", I recall a friend telling me. Like the tiny, soft bodied creatures that build coral reefs, beliefs and habits start off small and flexible, and end up by building massive barriers of rock all around our mind. Inside the reefs, the water feels quiet and friendly. Outside we may think it’s going to be rough and stormy. There may be sharks. But if we are to develop in any direction from where we are today, we must go outside that reef of habits and beliefs that mark the boundaries of our comfort zone. There’s even nothing specially wrong with those habits and beliefs as such. These beliefs probably worked for us in the past. But now it’s time to step over them and go into the wider world of your unused potential. Our fears don’t know what’s going to be out there, so they invent monsters and scary beasts to keep us inside.

As nobody’s born with an instruction manual for life, despite all the helpful advice from our parents, teachers and elders, each of us must make our own way in the world, doing the best we can and quite often getting things wrong. Yes, we may stumble and hurt ourselves at times, but messing up a few times isn’t that big a deal. But if we get scared and try to avoid all mistakes by sticking with just a few “tried and true” behaviors, we'll miss out on most opportunities as well.

It’s time to pin down the self-limiting beliefs and habits that have become unconscious and are running our lives for us. Accept the truth about the world and yourself, change whatever is holding you back, and get on with a fresh view on life. Let's get out of our comfort zone and break free. There’s a marvelous world out there.


Share

0 comments: